Update the information on the Vo2 max page to include details of a paper referencing information contained on the page.
Monday, 17 December 2012
Wednesday, 12 December 2012
Monday, 3 December 2012
Sunday, 2 December 2012
In the last few weeks the website has been recognised for its content and usefulness for Coaches and students studying physical education.
- "I am happy to inform you that Sports Coach is included on the list of 100 Great Sites for Coaching, just published on Sports Management Degree.org"
- "I am writing to let you know that Sports Coach has been featured on Physical Education Degree.org's list of the 100 Best Web Resources for Physical Education"
Wednesday, 3 October 2012
Two new tennis article by Marcin Bieniek looking at some of the "myths in modern tennis" and how "playing team sports can help to improve your tennis’ skills" have been uploaded to the web site.
Saturday, 29 September 2012
Tuesday, 18 September 2012
Wednesday, 12 September 2012
Monday, 27 August 2012
Friday, 24 August 2012
The inclusion of a number of tennis articles written by Marcin Bieniek, a tennis coach from Poland and a former professional player (Polish National Junior Team)
- Basket Drills or Playing Drills - the advantages and disadvantages of basket drills and playing drills
- What kind of a coach are you? - the kind of coach you may be based on your your personality and inner motivation
- What should a good coach have on court? - a list of items which all tennis coaches should have with them on court
- Tennis is a complex game - how coaches can help players develop their mental approach to the game of tennis
- Tennis is more psychological - some thoughts on the psychological side of the game of tennis.
- Coming into the net - what should you take into consideration with coming into the net.
- Second Serve - how to approach and play the second serve
- Watch the ball - how watching the ball can help you prepare for your return shot.
- Watch Your Opponent - how watching your opponent can help you predict your opponent's shot and limit their playing options
Monday, 20 August 2012
Wednesday, 15 August 2012
Sunday, 12 August 2012
Saturday, 11 August 2012
Control and strength of the body's back, abdominal and hip muscles is essential in order to achieve maximum athletic performance but how can we tell if core stability is being maintained? An update to the core stability page includes a section on how we can monitor core stability when testing and training.
Sunday, 29 July 2012
Client centred tennis coaching survey is an article by Marcin Bieniek, a tennis coach from Poland and a former professional player, that explains the benefits of being client centred in your coaching approach and the information to collect from your client to help you adjust the training to meet your client's needs.
Monday, 23 July 2012
By analysing your responses to a series of statements about how you feel before a competitive situation it is possible to determine your level of anxiety and self confidence. A test that provides such functionality is the Illinois Self Evaluation Questionnaire.
Saturday, 21 July 2012
Inclusion of an article on the Benefits of Exercising - Did you know that living a sedentary lifestyle is more dangerous to your health than smoking. Research conducted by Tai-Hing et al. (2004) revealed that 20% of all deaths of people over the age of 34 were attributed to a lack of physical activity. They concluded that a lack of physical activity increased the risk of dying of cancer by 45% for men and 28% for women, and the risk of dying from respiratory ailments by 92% for men and 75% for women.
Thursday, 28 June 2012
Wednesday, 27 June 2012
Dr Matt Long and Geoff James present a model for 800m success. This article provides an original five component model which includes mental characteristics and separates physical components into (a) power, strength, coordination and (b) utilisation of energy systems
Tuesday, 26 June 2012
For the most part, athletic training is all about technique and dedication. However, in many cases, your comfort and success also depends at least somewhat on your equipment. Here are a few tips and examples of equipment and accessories that can be greatly beneficial to your training.
Monday, 25 June 2012
Monday, 18 June 2012
This article provides some nutritional advice for developing power athletes. Evidence strongly suggests that the acquisition of muscle protein is a result of the workout stimulus plus the proper nutrition during the workout and more importantly during the following 24 hours.
Thursday, 31 May 2012
Dr. Matt Long assess the future challenges of the five tier system of training which the late Frank Horwill MBE advocated. HORWILL, F. J. (1991) ‘Obsession for Running’. Lancashire. Colin Davies
Wednesday, 30 May 2012
Tuesday, 29 May 2012
Monday, 28 May 2012
Monday, 14 May 2012
Sunday, 8 April 2012
Friday, 6 April 2012
Page on the Gluteal Muscles looking at the potential injury issues associated with weak or inhibited gluteal muscles and exercises to address the problem. The page also considers some of the issue with tight Piriformis or Pasoa muscles and exercises to alleviate the tightness.